Passenger jet vanishes without a trace

Posted on 11 Mar 2014


20140311-224252.jpgMalaysia Airlines flight 370 has gone missing. Reports are that it turned back without giving a mayday, perhaps due to an electrical failure. It may have crashed in the thick jungles of Malaysia.

The Boeing 777 with 239 people on board vanished Saturday over the South China Sea within an hour of take off from Kuala Lumpur headed for Beijing.

The airline says the last location was 065515 N longitude by 1033443 E latitude before it disappeared off of the radar.

Relatives of the passengers report that the phones are still reachable and keep ringing. The mobile phones of the missing crew are also reachable, but there is no answer from any of the phones.

As the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 continues to absolutely baffle investigators, explanations for what might have happened to the flight have entered the realm of the supernatural. Astonishingly, the Washington Post is now reporting that smartphones of some passengers who boarded the flight are still active and connected to the ‘net even though the plane they were on has vanished.

As WashPost reports:

One of the most eerie rumors came after a few relatives said they were able to call the cellphones of their loved ones or find them on a Chinese instant messenger service called QQ that indicated that their phones were still somehow online.

A migrant worker in the room said that several other workers from his company were on the plane, including his brother-in-law. Among them, the QQ accounts of three still showed that they were online, he said Sunday afternoon.

Adding to the mystery, other relatives in the room said that when they dialed some passengers’ numbers, they seemed to get ringing tones on the other side even though the calls were not picked up. …

Okay, weird. Someone is lying to us. The phones must be dry and if they are reachable officials know exactly what access points are communicating with those phones. They can’t triangulate the signals of the reachable phones?

China has adjusted operations of orbiting satellites to help search for the missing jet.

Scores of possible sightings including oil slicks have been checked and ruled out.

Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 had four stolen passports aboard according to background checks in Interpol’s Stolen and Lost Travel Documents database. The U.S. checks travelers backgrounds against this database over 250 million times a year but other countries of the 190 which share access to the database are not as stringent. The stolen passports have not been connected with the cause of the missing Malaysia Airlines flight which lost contact on Saturday, but Interpol has revealed that stolen documents are much more common than many realize.

Here’s a summary of what we know and what we don’t know about Flight 370, which was carrying 239 people when it disappeared from radar screens over Southeast Asia.


What we know: The Boeing 777-200ER took off from Kuala Lumpur, the Malaysian capital, at 12:41 a.m. Saturday (12:41 p.m. Friday ET). It was scheduled to arrive in Beijing at 6:30 a.m. the same day, after a roughly 2,700-mile (4,350-kilometer) journey. But around 1:30 a.m., air traffic controllers in Subang, outside Kuala Lumpur, lost contact with the plane over the sea between Malaysia and Vietnam.

What we don’t know: What happened next. The pilots did not indicate any problem to the tower, and no distress signal was issued. Malaysian military officials cite radar data as suggesting the plane might have turned back toward Kuala Lumpur. But the pilots didn’t tell air traffic control that they were doing so.

A senior Malaysian air force official said Tuesday that the plane traveled hundreds of miles off course, moving in the opposite direction from its original destination, and had stopped sending identifying transponder codes before it disappeared.

We don’t know why the plane would have turned around. While one expert tells CNN the plane’s deviation could mean someone deliberately turned the plane around, another expert says power failure could have disrupted the main transponder and its backup, and the plane could have flown for more than an hour.

Serious UFO investigators know better than most what is normally tracked in our skies.

“Between black boxes, transponders, radar, debris fields, explosion and missile strike signatures, evidence is always left behind,” MUFON’s Pennsylvania State Director John Ventre said. “The one explanation that some researchers are considering is that the plane and its passengers were abducted by extraterrestrials.”

He added: “The U.S. military monitors everything using sonar, radar and satellites. I’m certain our satellites observed what really happened, but that’s a truth that can’t be revealed.”


1:21 a.m.: The plane’s transponder, which transmits location and altitude, shuts down. Sources told ABC News that U.S. officials are “convinced that there was a manual intervention.”
1:22 a.m.: MH370 should have come to the navigational way-point called Igari point. Before it reached this point, Vietnamese air traffic control noticed they had lost contact with MH370, according to the Vietnam’s Civil Aviation Authority.
1:30 a.m.: The last moment that the plane was seen by Malaysian radar.
1:38 a.m.: Air traffic control in Ho Chi Minh City informs Kuala Lumpur air traffic control about the signal loss. Ho Chi Minh City asks two other planes to contact MH370. Neither plane is able to raise the pilot of MH370. At least of the planes report getting a “buzz signal” and no voices, then losing the signal.
2:15 a.m.: A Malaysian military defense radar pick up a plane that is hundreds of miles west of MH370’s last contact point. It’s unclear if that is the missing plane.
Following hours: In the hours after contact was lost MH370 “pings” a satellite several times. It’s not clear if those pings include data that could reveal the plane’s location.
6:32 a.m.: A broadcast call was made from Kuala Lumpur’s air traffic control on emergency frequencies asking MH370 to call them.
6:51 a.m.: A broadcast call was made from Ho Chi Minh City’s air traffic control on emergency frequencies asking MH370 to call them.

What about the calls and texts to the cell phones of the crew and passengers? When were those?

Posted in: Strange, Travel