Hidden Lyme disease is huge and growing problem. Since tests for the infection are not conclusive for reasons you will read below, you can try a Lyme and co-infection elimination test, keeping a regular honest daily journal of times you take things and times you have symptoms. With a few caveats, elimination of symptoms will be your evidence of success. Consult a Lyme literate doctor, of course, but here is my summary of the Lyme Protocol I worked out. It elimiated my morning joint pains, crazy itches, facial and other twitches, burning feet and at one time full body convulsions, with all symptoms finally gone in 3 to 6 months. A few symptoms came back months later, so I updated this and added a few more things that help on 9/16/2018.
Xeno’s Lyme Protocol
You most likely can not skip the daily movement part of this and expect it to work. Here is what helped me the most:
1. Ionic Silver (Angstrom nanosilver), 1 oz in AM, 1 oz in PM evenly spaced. (Helps twitches, itches, neuro symptoms)
2. Stevia Leaf extract, 20 drops 3x per day with meals in water. (Kills all 3 forms of Lyme, cork screws, round bodies and biofilms)
3. Vitamin C, liposomal, Dr, Mercola brand, one 500g capsule 3x /day with meals. (Oxidative, boosts overall immune function. May make you acidic which could help Lyme bacteria grow, but it seemed to help my symptoms when used occasionally in rotation with other treatments. )
4. Grapefruit Seed Extract 250 mg. one in AM, one in PM.
5. Vitamin D3 liquid 5000 – 10000 IU/day, taken during sunlight hours. (Helps the body in many ways to fight infections and even to regulate blood sugar by encouraging insulin production.)
6. CoEnzyme Q10, ubiquinone 100 mg once in AM (Provides heart and mitochondrial energy)
7. L-Carnitine (Heart and mitochondrial energy)
8. Garlic tab, Garlinase 5000, 1 tablet 1 to 3x/day. 320 mg / 11 mg of alliin. (Anti-microbial)
9. Liquid B-12 with B complex, Solgar brand, one dropper full in water each morning. (Get tested, only take if needed, excess B vitamins can cause symptoms.)
10. Glutathione (GSH), our body’s most powerful anti-oxidant, it is used by NK cells. I took N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC) instead for the first month or so. It is much cheaper and oral GSH may be broken down too much. However, NAC may deplete the gut lining, so don’t use it long term. Glutathione occurs naturally in many foods, and people who eat well probably have enough in their diets.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Get a brisk walk, a swim or at least swing the arms and walk in place vigorously for 30 to 45 min each day to pump the lymph and clean the junk out from around your cells. This is essential. The lymph system bathes all cells of the body and is the waste removal system. It has no pump and relies upon movement to push the fluid through one way valves to empty it into the blood stream where it is eventually eliminated.
- Eat organic foods as non-organic foods have more pesticides which kill good bacteria in your gut, thus weakening your immune system. (It’s more expensive, not perfect, but worth it.)
- As available. eat organic broccoli, spinach, leeks, green beans, zucchini, Brussels sprouts, parsley and cabbage. Cyanohydroxybutene and sulforaphane, phytochemicals found in broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and cabbage, and chrolophyll in parsley contribute to raising glutathione levels.
- Cook with organic curry, tumeric, cinnamon and cardamom as these are anti-inflammatory and will help pain. Some spices – for instance, turmeric, cinnamon and cardamom – have compounds that can assist in restoring healthy levels of GSH and boost the activity of GSH enzymes.
- Stay away from WiFi as much as possible, don’t sleep with it on. I used a stylus and selfie stick to keep my distance from my phone when it started giving me cysts on my fingers. They eventually went away.
- No phone after 10 pm. Read a book instead.
- To help you stay asleep, drink most of your day’s water in the morning and afternoon. (Water you drink actually gets dispersed around your body for days. The healthy kidneys filter about 1/2 cup of blood every minute, removing wastes and extra water to make urine as needed to maintain proper hydration. A healthy bladder can hold 2 cups of water comfortably for 2 to 5 hours, so remember to pee before you sleep. If you wake up a lot to urinate, it may be an indication of some other problem such as diabetes.)
- Dim the lights when the sun goes down and get at least 7 hrs sleep per night.
- Drink clean filtered water to stay hydrated, but not too much after 4 pm
- Laugh from the belly for 30 minutes straight and take a few 5 minute laugh breaks during the day every day for a week. Laughter, like exercise. increases endorphins and activates NK cells. Set a timer and fake it until it becomes real laughter. Just ten minutes of “belly laughter” allowed a man with a very painful spinal disease to sleep pain free for two hours. Laughter has been described as an internal “massage” of the organs, which stimulates digestion and circulation. Laughter also reduces stress which is generally detrimental to the immune system.
- No alcohol and as little acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol) as possible and never on an empty stomach as these deplete glutathione.
Daily movement also generates endorphins, our natural opiate-like substances produced by the body to help control pain. Endorphins also have very powerful immune system effects. For instance, the natural killer (NK) cells have endorphin receptors on their surfaces. When endorphins are present, the NK cells increase in number and in function by as much as 300 percent! Exercise is known to enhance NK function.
“Many Lyme-aware physicians believe that the blood level of a specific NK cell called the CD57 cell is an excellent predictor of when a person can come off of antibiotics. When the CD57 is high, then the NK cells (and the rest of the immune system) can handle Lyme without further need for antibiotics. When the CD57 is low, then the immune system is not strong enough to handle Lyme without the help of antibiotics.” – Link
Lyme disease–don’t call it “Lyme’s”, it is not named for a person–is caused by a spiral bacteria related to syphilis.
The bacteria is mostly transmitted by pin-sized nymphal ticks. They bite, transmit microbes, then drop off — most people aren’t even aware of being bitten. Symptoms of the initial infection are mild if they occur at all so, it is not uncommon for people to be completely unaware of being infected.
Over time, the disease can be just bothersome, causing pains, anxiety and fatigue, or it can be horrific, slowly crippling and sometimes deadly. In terms of symptoms, like syphilis, it mimics other diseases depending on what organs the organisms invade. It can lead to mental illnesses and even suicide due to low quality of life, especially when uninformed doctors tell patients symptoms are all in their head and/or a person spends huge amounts of money on treatments that do not work. Neuroborreliosis, (neuro-lyme) mimics and may be the underlying cause of things like Multiple Sclerosis, Lou Gehrig’s, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder among others. There is some evidence that it is an STD and that it was originally spread by birds from Plum Island near Lyme Connecticut.
Some are convinced that the current stealthy and hard to kill version is an accidentally escaped bioweapon. True or not, with proper care and treatment, people can and do make it. There is hope. Some spend years being horribly sick, but make it back from death’s door. Most doctors are unaware that tests for long term (chronic) Lyme are typically negative because many strains that cause symptoms are not tested, the organism hides in the lymph system and in biofilms, and because after a brief reaction to the invasion, the organism suppresses the human immune system.
In addition to an EIA test, Kaiser can ordee a C6 peptide test if your symptoms warrant. This test spots up to 18 different Borellia species, not just Borellia burgdorferi (Bb). CBy contrast, the standard EIA test by Kaiser tests for antibodies to only Bb.
Below is my growing list of things that kill the Lyme bacteria, Borrelia burgdorferi (and company) or helps if you have the condition, gleaned from scouring the Internet, personal experiments with friends, and from attending conferences of Lyme experts. Leave a comment if you know of others. The life you save makes be your own, as Lyme has reached epidemic proportions. Lyme Disease is a bigger threat in Bay Area than documented.
XENO’S BIG LYME FIGHTIN’ TOOL KIT
Killing spirochetes is quite possible, but this organism is robust. It changes into other forms and has countermeasures, so a coordinated program of attack is needed. The items below are things people have found helpful, with my comments. My approach is to start with the free lowest risk things right away and stick with them. I’ve put in bold the things that have given results. This is a big bag of rumors from many places, a cache of health weapons. Caution: side effects of some remedies can be mistaken for activity of the infection. Check with a Lyme literate doctor, LLMD.
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine 500mg 1 pill 2 times a day for 1 month and then 1 pill daily. Essential for heart health and overall body energy.
- Allicin, Stabilized – Stabilized garlic has been shown to have potent broad-spectrum activity against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria and has antiviral, antifungal, and antiparasitic properties. Lyme disease patients have noted significant benefit. highly beneficial for chronic fungal infections and Candida (yeast) and has activity against MRSA infections. It also provides remarkable cardiovascular benefits, lowers cholesterol, inhibits platelet aggregation (stickiness), improves blood flow, reduces blood pressure, and has direct cardiogenic effects.
- Aloe Vera – This plant is loaded with good things. The enzymes present help break down the proteins into amino acids and turn enzymes into fuel for every cell in the body. Bradykinase in aloe vera stimulates the immune system and kills microbes during infections and zinc it contains is essential to maintain immune function.
- Amylase – An enzyme commonly deficient in Lyme patients. Breaks down sugar and starch, digests dead white blood cells. Anti-inflammatory and amylase deficient may have issues with psoriasis, eczema, hives, insect bites, allergies, atopic dermatitis, all types of herpes, and lung problems such as asthma and emphysema.
- Antibiotics, Long-term oral tetracycline and erythromycin (when combined with hydroxychloroquine), knock out the infection: three to four months if the patient has been sick less than a year; 18 to 24 months if the patient has been sick for five years or more. BUT: Chronic use of antibiotics disrupts the microbiome, disrupts the immune system, can damage mitochondria inside cells, and can disrupt protective biofilm in the colon.
- Artemisia / Arteminisin – Anti-malarial, anti-fungal, anti-caner, anti-spirochete and enhances natural killer cell response. Counteracts hyper coagulation. Targets a Lyme coinfection: babesia, a blood parasite similar to malaria, as well as Bartonella. Both invade Red Blood Cells and cause them damage. Be careful–potent stuff!
- Barberry root – significant antimicrobial activity against a variety of organisms, including bacteria, viruses, fungi, protozoans, helminths, and chlamydia. It may also help the immune system function better. Berberine might make blood pressure become too low
- BioMat deep heating pad: Bb hates heat and would die at 106 degrees in 24 hours. If humans wouldn’t die, they would invent a pill that would heat up the human body to 106, but that would be too dangerous and could kill you too. The spirochetes do have a hard time at 102F, and at 103 or 104 which may explain why B. burgdorferi is absent in the tropics.
- Black walnut hull – oxygenates blood to kill parasites, fight fungal infections, and fight bacterial infection
- Bone broth and vegetables (organic) to rebuild the body and the gut lining which acts as a barrier to things you shouldn’t absorb and a doorway for things you should.
- Breathing for O2. To improve oxygen levels breathe in a long, deep, full breath through your nose, allowing your inhalation to slow a bit, so your body exchanges oxygen and carbon dioxide in your blood, then purse your lips as you exhale to allow a controlled amount of air to leave your body at time, as if blowing out a cake full of candles. Exhale fully to get rid of the carbon dioxide. (This felt great but did not change my pulse O2.)
- Bromelain – one LLMD uses Bromelain to break down the biofilm
- Buhner protocol – Herbal treatment. Japanese knotweed (trans-resveratrol), andrographis, cat’s claw, and sarsaparilla, along with stabilized allicin, Reishi mushroom and cordyceps, glutathione and NAC, B vitamins, hawthorn, French maritime pine bark, and resveratrol, milk thistle for liver support and a variety of herbal antioxidants.
- Cat’s Claw: Used for centuries to lower excitability of CNS. Known as Gou Teng herb it is used in China for hypertension, convulsions, headache, dizziness, and apoplexy. Increases serotonin and can result in multiple mood and cognitive improvements, including OCD, IBS, fibromyalgia depression and anxiety. It is used in a formula to fight Bartonella, a common bacteria involved in Lyme Disease.
- Cilantro – a natural chelator for heavy metals.
- Clove – this herb acts as a tonic (meaning it gives vigor or well-being), febrifuge (fever reducer), antiseptic and anti-fungal with anti-parasitic activity. It is part of a formula to kill Bartonella, a bacteria that often infects people with Lyme disease.
- Co-enzyme Q10 – 100mg to 400mg, take 2 times a day. Commonly deficient in Lyme.
- Curcumin – 500mg – 1 pill 3 times a day.
- Daily walking (>1hr) with vigorous arm movement. The lymph system is your body’s garbage collector for the fluid that bathes all of your cells. It requires moment to push lymph though one way valves. Plus, Lyme hides in the lymph glands. Combine with an anti-microbial to kill the bacteria and plenty of water and to flush out toxins.
- Diatomaceous earth: Wear a dust mask, sprinkle pesticide grade (not pool grade) on carpet and bed, then vacuum up. It’s non toxic, made of fossilized sea creatures, and very long lasting. Kills pests and keeps them away!
- DNRS – Dynamic Neural Re-training System is an expensive cognitive therapy designed to supposedly retrain the limbic system. I don’t recommend it if you are having anxiety symptoms from Lyme. My fiancé tried it, even going to Florida to take the courses. It did not prevent her from committing suicide due to ever worsening neurological symptoms. Lyme can cause brain damage and you need to address that with antimicrobials which cross the blood brain barrier. Similarly, I did not need a sleeping pill to sleep. I needed lots of water, a brisk walk daily, and antimicrobials to stop the crazy itching crawling feelings and racing heart, then sleep came.
- Doxycycline – Antibiotics must be intra and extra cellular. Doxycycline and erythromycin work inside the cell, but a small fraction of cells in Bb biofilms were unaffected after prolonged antibiotic treatment. Doxycycline (250 µg/ml) was very effective in eliminating the spirochetal form of B. burgdorferi, but I have avoided it because it significantly increased the round-body forms.
- Exercise – oxygenates the blood and kills spirochetes, which cannot survive in a high-oxygen environment.
- Fresh air – open all windows, air out rooms. Reduces mold reactions.
- Garlic – anti parasite, antiviral, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, (including anti-spirochete,) diaphoretic, diuretic, expectorant and it helps remove heavy metals. Facilitates removal of unfriendly bacteria. Very high in natural antioxidants that destroy free radicals, which supports a strong immune system. It also supports liver detox, decreases LDL cholesterol, and is a cardiovascular tonic that helps with the biosynthesis of fatty acids phospholipids. Garlic acts as an anti-clotting agent and it works on the smooth muscles of the arteries, causing them to relax and dilate, thereby lowering blood pressure. It is also used to kill Bartonella, a bacteria which may cause many Lyme symptoms. (I have a huge clove of raw garlic in my mouth as I write this. Yum.)
- Glutathione, Liposomal – 500mg/5ml take 5ml 1 or 2 times a day, or less expensively, use N Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC) 500mg 1 pill 3 times a day.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract – therapeutic against hundreds of different bacteria, virus, parasitic and fungal strains, may help treat Borrelia in cyst form. This powerful natural antibiotic that has produced herx reactions and improvement in Lyme Disease sufferers. It is also commonly used for the prevention and treatment of Candida. It is used in a formula to treat Bartonella, a “co-infection” that accompanies Lyme.
- Herbal antimicrobials: Houttuynia plus Sida Acuta: Works ~70% of the time. Start houttuynia at 5 drops 2 times a day and increase daily by 1 drop per dose till at 30 drops 2 times a day. At the same time take Sida Acuta from Woodland Essence as 1/4 tsp 3 times a day and after 1 week if tolerating it increase to 1/2 tsp 3 times a day.
- High Altitude, Nine days at a high altitude, some place like Peru. – Some say the altitude change causes the bacteria to burrow and they feel worse. If you acclimatize and have more O2 in places you normally don’t, you make more red blood cells, and make an enzyme that causes release of more O2 into tissues all of which could help kill off the spirochetes.
- Honey – Raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized. While antimicrobial, the sugar content may make things worse. Topical Manuka honey helped get rid of foliculitis.
- Hot Water Hand Treatment – For aches and pains in hands and to simply cook any spirochetes in the area, run the hottest water on your hands possible (Careful! Do not scald or burn yourself!), or place your hand in a hot bath for 10 minutes, massaging sore areas. Take a break, then repeat. Drink plenty of water after this and take vitamin C. This will raise your body temperature.
- Hydrogen Peroxide (food grade) – In the body’s immune response, hydrogen peroxide is released by T-cells to destroy invading bacteria, viruses and fungi.
- Hyperbaric oxygen treatment
- ICHT is an experimental treatment which involves raising the body temperature to kill spirochetes.
- Iodine – Healthy levels of iodine prevent toxic chemicals such as fluorine, chlorine, and bromine from interfering with thyroid function. Iodine intake immediately increases the excretion of bromide, fluoride, and some heavy metals including mercury, lead, cadmium and aluminum. It is essential to proper brain development and lack of Iodine is the number one cause of preventable mental retardation worldwide. Deficiency is also related to breast cancer. Based on the average daily Japanese consumption, you could take 5,280 to 13,800 mcg of iodine with no harmful effects and many benefits. An average woman in Japan consumes about 12.5 mg of iodine daily, more than 100 times the US RDA, but they also have less breast cancer. Although its highest concentrations are in glandular tissues, especially the thyroid gland, and breasts, iodine is found in and utilized by all cells, tissues in the body. Iodine has potent antiseptic and antimicrobial properties. Iodine helps keep the body and blood detoxified. It acculumates in the thyroid gland and all of the blood in the body circulates through this gland. Lugol’s brand (2%) or Triple Iodine Complex, seven (7) drops daily indefinitely reportedly kills Lyme bacteria (Bb), but not the round bodies (encysted form.) Important for Iodine: See Water Filters, you must remove perchlorate from your system. This is a rocket fuel component contaminating much of our water supply and perchlorate blocks the thyroid from utilizing iodine.IV Ozone – Among oxygen therapies, this is one I feel you should not try. If it worked, I think my fiancé would still be alive. She felt terrible at first, but then felt much better for a few days after having IV ozone gas injected into her veins. She did this several times. I strongly protested due to concern about embolism and later learned that this might break the blood brain barrier, letting things into her brain that shouldn’t get in. I do believe and know from my experience that oxygen therapies work. (See Silver, Nano and Vitamin C )
- Krill oil – lowers inflammation and relieves Lyme symptoms
- Japanese knot-weed: Immune booster
- John of God – I was surprised that my Fiance’s symptoms greatly improved for about a month after she went to see John of God, a faith healer. My rational guess is that antimicrobials in the water in Brazil resolve some people’s symptoms.
- Lipase – commonly deficient in Lyme
- Liposomal treatments – Biofilms, which help the bacteria hide from antibiotics, can be attacked by liposomal treatments such as lecithin wrapped drugs, essential oils, supplements or herbs. Examples are eucalyptus, cinnamon, clove, sweet orange, and stevia.
- Lithium Orotate – 5mg 1 pill 3 times a day. Improves thinking, protects the brain from toxins, elevates mood, and decreases anxiety and nervous system irritability.
- Low sugar diet to avoid intestinal yeast.
- Loratadine (Claritin antihistamine) – specifically it’s metabolite, desloratadine, prevents manganese (Mn) from entering the cell wall of the bacteria and starves it. The study has so far proved Claritin effective in killing Lyme bacteria in test tubes.
- Lauricidin® – a concentrated antimicrobial derivative of lauric acid, a component of coconuts.
- Licorice – binding and helping remove neurotoxins, this mucogenic agents soothe stomach and duodenal ulcers. It is used for chronic fatigue syndrome and is thought to have antiviral effects. It is part of a formula against Bartonella, a common infection that accompanies Lyme Disease.
- Lithium Orotate – 5mg, 1 pill 3 times a day. Decreases feeling of buzzing and jitteriness. Improves thinking, protects the brain from toxins, elevates mood, and decreases anxiety. Decreases development of plaques and neurofibrilary tangles in Alzheimer’s disease. Slows the progression of Alzheimer’s.
- Lypase – An enzyme that breaks fats into fatty acids and glycerol. Helps control appetite and healthy cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Those deficient have decreased cell permeability so nutrients cannot get in and waste cannot get out, as well as muscle spasms, and spastic colon.
- Magnesium – Magnesium is an electrolyte with hundreds of roles, from supporting nerve signaling to reducing muscle aches. Those with Lyme disease can’t afford to run low since stress and illness increase the body’s need.
- Mangosteen fruit – can be an effective non-pharmaceutical antibiotic. An anti-oxidant 6x stronger than Vitamin C. It is anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, antiparasitic and antifungal.
- Maple Syrup – a 2015 study from McGill University in Montreal, Canada found maple syrup an effective antibacterial substance, and when used with antibiotics it could make antibiotics more potent. The study also discovered it was an effective biofilm buster.
- Mercury, avoid. Get silver fillings replaced. Mercury is a neurotoxic heavy metal and vapors escape from fillings. Avoid other sources such as fish with high mercury content. Mercury toxicity is real. It weakens immunity and causes tremors, headaches, brain fog, muscle weakness, vision loss an damage to many internal organs. Hair, blood and urine can be tested for mercury.
- Microwaves, shield against, avoid. Virulence of Lyme disease is likely related to the dramatic increase in electromagnetic fields and microwave radiation.
- Mitomycin C anti-cancer drug.
- Monolaurin – Has an antiviral component for fending off the flu with a compromised immune system. The lauric acid in monolaurin that binds to the virus’s lipid (fat)-protein envelope to inactivate virus. Kills flu viruses as well as the Epstein-Barr virus, named as the chronic fatigue syndrome culprit. Kills Lyme disease Borrelia, Bartonella, and co-infections, Babesiosis, etc. (seller claim). One pellet/day, gradually increase to 10 pellets a day over two weeks.
- Mold – Many homes have a toxic mold problem; remediate, remove or move. Test by spending a week in a dry climate to see if your symptoms improve. (Link)
- Moringa oleifera – May have antibiotic, antitrypanosomal, hypotensive, antispasmodic, antiulcer, anti-inflammatory, hypocholesterolemic, NK boosting and hypoglycemic activities but few studies have been done.
- Nattokinase – to break up fibrinogen. Lessens fibrin production, improving blood circulation. Research shows that nattokinase thins blood, making it easier to treat illnesses like Lyme Disease and removes undue pressure on the overall system. New research shows that nattokinase may play a significiant roll in degrading biofilms.
- N-acetyl Cysteine – “a safe, low-cost compound.” replenishes intracellular levels of the natural antioxidant glutathione (GSH), helping to restore cells’ ability to fight damage from reactive oxygen species (ROS). Warning: This mucolytic agent may deplete colon mucus, making gut lining more permeable, which can lead to many problems such as T2D. “Loss of the gut barrier has been implicated in the pathogenesis of the multiple organ dysfunction syndrome… “
- Neem Oil – (Melia azadirachta) works great for lyme and any other infections too. It is anti-viral, anti bacterial and anti-fungal. Neem has been used for it’s benefit for around 3000 years. In India fresh leaves are made into a paste of say a tea spoonful and it is taken with a glass of butter milk or a bit of yoghurt to reduce gut irritation. A one month course should get rid of any bacteria infection and also act against certain virus. Fresh neem leaves are effective, dried leaves or oil will not be that potent. (link) Neem has been used to successfully treat malaria as well as vitiligo, and has been reported to increase brain serotonin levels and even have anti-anxiety properties. (link) It boosts the immune system and is truly powerful against many infections. Neem oil appears to be anti-lyme. (link) Fights pneumonia, ulcers, gout, diabetes, hypertension, skin infection and wound healing. The essential fatty acid content in Neem is high. It is used in a formula to treat Bartonella, a different bacteria that may accompany the Lyme bacteria and cause symptoms. (link)
- Neprinol – A blend of systemic enzymes and antioxidants. Hypercoagulation (thick blood) can occur with chronic illnesses like Chronic Lyme Disease. It can be due to bacteria, mycoplasmas, and/or parasite infections, genetic coagulation defects, or chemical exposure, which activate antibodies in the immune system that trigger a reaction that causes the blood to become thick. Hypercoagulation hinders nutrient and oxygen delivery to muscles, nerves, bone, and organ tissues, makes bacteria less accesible to treatment, puts undue pressure on the cardiovascular system, and can cause cell death in the gut.
- Nutramedix line of herbal antimicrobials
- Olive leaf extract – Very powerful natural antibiotic, antiviral, antifungal, and antiprotozoal. Broad spectrum activity against many microorganisms and is beneficial to the immune system. It can also be used against Candida infections.
- Olive oil – antibiotic, protective
- OnGuard – Essential oil from doTerra. It stops sore throats in their tracks and is anti-microbial.
- Oregano oil – a strong anti-bacterial
- Oxidative treatments ( intravenous vitamin C, hydrogen peroxide, UV blood irradiation, and small particle silver).
- Papain – Found naturally in unripe papayas, used as a meat tenderizer, breaks down the fibers in muscle tissue, ability to dissolve bonds between cells. It helps break down foods for digestion.
- Poke Root – helps detox the Lymphatic System, stimulates production of immune B and T cells. Anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and antibacterial and rich in alkaloids that have antihistamine effects, it also increases the brain’s production of GABA.
- Posture – Good posture reduces adrenaline in the body. An inch adjustment to how you hold your head can reduce cortisol levels.
- Probiotics – optimize gut flora and support immunity.
- Protease – Proteases break down proteins. In Europe and Japan, proteolytic enzymes or protease are used to speed up healing from bodily injury or surgery. Helps with inflammation, immune regulation, breaking down cellular debris including toxins in the blood, freeing up the immune system to concentrate on bacterial, parasitical, and viral infections. Those with a protease deficiency have excess alkalinity which can cause anxiety and insomnia, arthritis, osteoporosis and other calcium-deficient diseases.
- Pulsed Doses of Antibiotics – Borrelia burgdorferi may not have resistance to antibiotics, but rather it turns into inactive persister cells. These cells lack of metabolic activity makes them totally resistant to any antibiotic at any dose and also to any combination of antibiotics. As they regrow back to the normal active form, which occurs when the antibiotic is removed, the persister cells have no antibiotic resistance. Successful long-term treatment may need time off of antibiotics to allow the reconversion back to the standard form, then to “surprise” this relatively more defenseless form of Lyme. This strategy is then used over and over, causing the population to die off. A more appropriate dosing schedule may be five days on and five days off.
- Quercetin – a bioflavonoid (plant pigment) found in antibiotic, 300mg 2 pills 1x/day with one of: minocycline 100mg 1 pill 2 times a day, or bactrim DS 1 pill 2 times a day or azithromycin (Zithromax) 500mg 1 pill time a day.
- Rutin – a bioflavinoid that strengthens and controls the permeability of blood vessels and capillary walls, lowering blood pressure and slowing aging.
- Samento Herb – (Samento and Banderol extracts) had significant effect on all three known forms of B. burgdorferi bacteria in vitro. Samento (TAMO free) has proven to be very helpful within the Lyme patient community. One person reported that “Samento took the Lyme arthritis away in 3 weeks”. Samento (TAMO free) has proven to be very helpful within the Lyme patient community.
- Sarsaparilla (Warning: can be dangerous, formerly used in root beer.) Indian Sarsaparilla acts on circulation, autoimmunity, joint disease, digestive issues, and viral infections. It is a rich nutrient and alkaloid and provides other things such as saponin, panillin, cetyl-alcohol, cobolt, pollinstanol selenium, smilagenin, stigmasterol, zinc, Beta and Epsilon-sitosterol to name just a few.
- Saunas – 38C = 100.4F – All strains susceptibility to penicillin and ceftriaxone increased up to 16-fold by an elevation of temperature from 36 degrees C to 38 degrees C. Elevated body temperature may be particularly important in tissues where high concentrations of antibiotics are difficult to achieve
- Serrapeptase to break up excess protein, inhibit and destroy Lyme biofilms according to double-blind randomized studies. Also dissolves coagulated blood. Can release toxins and emotional reactions. Anti-inflammatory, anti-edema, and fibrinolytic properties. Warning: powerful anti-coagulant. If cut while taking this, call doctor immediately.
- Silver, Nano. Angstrom nano silver, 1 oz in AM and PM with meals. 20-30 ppb. Silver ions kills Lyme on contact by oxidation faster and with less side effects compared to antibiotics. Stomach acid makes ionic silver resulting in silver salts which enter the blood. It helps reduce bartonella, a different and co-occurring bacterial infection which may be causing many of the symptoms attributed to Lyme Disease.
- Sleep, Enough. Correct sleep – Aim for 7.25 hrs of quality sleep per night as this seems to be the optimal amount of sleep for heath. This is according to data from 16 separate studies that covered 25 years, 1.3 million people and over 100,000 deaths. Overall risk of death increased for people who regularly got less than 7 hours OR more than 8 hours sleep. During sleep your immune system releases cytokines and some help to fight inflammation and infection. You especially need the few hours before midnight. The brain shrinks at night and fluid cleans out the junk. Tips: Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day of the week, avoid blue light (e.g. from laptops) an hour before you intend to fall asleep, avoid stimulants 4 hrs before bed, use room darkening shades, exercise during the day, get rid of all lights, even from digial clocks, use earplugs, and do whatever else you need to do for a restful environment.
- Steam heat – clean carpets and drapes. Kill any bugs including those that may bite and transmit disease.
- Stevia Leaf extract kills Lyme bacteria better than some antibiotics in test tube. As an individual agent, it is effective against all known morphological forms of B. burgdorferi.
- Strength Training – The immune system uses proteins to fight infection. Building muscle mass makes you harder to kill. Muscle provides a reservoir of proteins, as well as anti-inflammatory myokines, and it assists with detoxification. Work out, carefully to avoid injury, only 20 minutes a day three times per week. Muscle mass builds up when you rest so get plenty of sleep.
- Teasel Root extract – Found by some Lyme Disease sufferers to be an excellent natural antibiotic option which is effective against Borrelia Burgdorferi.
- Ultraviolet blood irradiation, UBI – A small amount of blood is removed with sterile technique; approximately 200 cc or 6 ounces. The blood passes through a flat quartz cuvette, is irradiated with ultraviolet light in a closed, airtight, sterile circuit and returned to the blood stream. Experience has shown that UBI can strengthen the immune system and improve overall health. UBI has been shown to have the following benefits: Increases oxygen absorbtion into body tissues, anti-fungal, viral and bacterial, boosts immune system, Improves circulation and decreases platelet aggregation, Improves circulation by dilating blood vessels, Improves the body’s ability to detoxify and inactivate or remove toxins
- Undecylenic acid – for killing Candida and other fungal pathogens.
- Usnea – Also known as Old Man’s Beard, usnea is a lichen, a symbiotic relationship between algae and fungus. It has broad-spectrum antimicrobial properties, affecting virus, protozoa, Candida, trichamonas, Chlamydia and others. Also analgesic and a cyst buster. It has been used since ancient times and can reportedly heal lung and upper respiratory tract infections as well as urinary tract infections, kidney, and bladder infections.
- Vitamin B complex – The right amount and balance helps with nerves. This alone has resolved many problems associated with Lyme Disease according to one Lyme doctor. It may also be used by Bb which can’t make its own.
- Vitamin C – Enters cells and combines with other elements to create our bodies own hydrogen peroxide which kills bacteria. This makes Vitamin C an oxygen therapy with a rational basis to kill Bb which cannot survive high O2 environments. Liposomal C is the best method of delivery; phospholipid-coated C is absorbed better and may have better bioavailability. Drink plenty of water. Vitamin C raises body temperature by +0.7 degrees F at 2 hrs after taking administration and a 73% drop in iron in the blood was seen 24 hrs after the dose in a 1990 study (link). Vitamin C appears to assist iron update by the body. Be aware of side effects. The Mayo Clinic lists cardiac related death as a side effect of vitamin C, but this was based on a single unconfirmed study which showed vitamin C supplementation appeared to increase cardiovascular disease mortality in post-menopausal diabetic women. Long ago our ancestor’s bodies produced their own vitamin C, but a genetic mutation changed that. Mega doses of C may help Lyme bacteria, so careful.
- Wash Clothes and Bedding Hot. Wash all clothes and bedding in hot water once per week. Avoid sharing clothes and bedding. This can help if your immune system is being triggered by dust mites and molds.
- Water filter: The only filters certified by NSF International to remove perchlorate were reverse osmosis filters, which are typically whole-house filters. No known pitcher-type water filters remove perchlorate.
- Water Therapy, Alternating Hot then Cold – For hands, feet, your face or your whole body (make it a daily shower routine), scientists believe moving from hot to cold water boosts the number of disease-fighting immune system cells such as monocytes (white blood cells). The contrast of temperatures with water therapy may help increase blood flow to the tiny capillaries that lie near the surface of the skin and provide it with the nutrients needed to keep it elastic and taut. Better circulation improves the function of fibroblasts, the cells which produce collagen — the main structural protein in skin.’ Cold water therapy can boost immune function, decrease inflammation and pain. Researchers say it even shows promise for those with chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic heart failure, and some (non-lymphoid) types of cancers.
- Wobenzyme Systemic enzyme supplementation (aka as Wobenzym) a non-pharmaceutical antibiotic has proven highly effective and without side effects. Systemic enzyme supplementation offers many healing properties which benefit Lyme Disease sufferers. WobenzymN – “the first dose it took 70% of my pain away.”
- Wolves and cougars – Allow them to return to lower deer populations. [“A Natural Cure for Lyme Disease” is not a good title for the article, NYT, as this won’t cure anyone. As to prevention, we might stop the spread of Lyme by releasing GMO tics that were killed by the bacteria. – Xeno]
- Wormwood – artemesia annua is treatment for the babesia co-infection, but because bartonella infects red blood cells also (like babs) some use wormwood to treat bartonella too.
Maintaining optimal health seems the best weapon. Repair the damage as it happens, stay as healthy as possible, break up Lyme biofilm so the immune system gets to as many of them as possible, flush them out. Treat co-infections to reduce symptoms. Now I know why my fiancé had so many different supplements. It’s a marathon race, a long fight to the death with the corkscrew beasts.
In fact, what if we have it all backward? What if Borrelia is the co-infection and Bartonella (the cause of cat scratch fever) is the main infection?
Bartonella has been the stubborn (thing) to treat and remove
infection in the Lyme community, this is because it takes over a persons immune system AND uses calcification as a defense
mechanism. Dr. Schaller who is recognized as a leading LLMD has
said this about Bartonella;
“The knowledge base about both Bartonella testing and treatment
borders on the disastrous. Bartonella is one of the most common
infections in the world. Calling it a “coinfection” is nonsense; if anything, Lyme is the “coinfection.” It is found in vast numbers of common vectors, including dust mites, fleas, flea
feces, pet saliva, and ticks. Amazingly, it can turn off or
lower antibodies to Lyme disease, Babesia, Ehrlichia, Anaplasma, and even itself. Bartonella floats in blood and also enters all blood vessel walls without causing a fatal fever, and indeed actually lowers fevers. It is the ultimate stealth infection.
It turns off antibodies, fevers, and immune function defense chemicals as it damages organs in 20 to 60 ways.” Dr. Schaller has been a leader in helping to understand Bartonella.
The year 2007 will mark the death of the expression “co-infection,” because increasingly patients have awareness that Babesia and Bartonella are not little addendums to Lyme disease, but are often far more serious than Lyme disease. Any physician who is not well-versed in these two killing infections will not be considered competent enough to treat patients with flea and
Bartonella henselae and Bartonella quintana are small, rod-shaped, pleomorphic, gram-negative bacteria. The human body louse (Pediculus humanis) is the proposed vector for Bartonella quintana. No animal reservoir has been determined for Bartonella quintana. The domestic cat is believed to be both a reservoir and vector for Bartonella henselae. Cats may infect humans directly through scratches, bites, or licks, or indirectly through an arthropod vector. Humans remain the only host in which Bartonella infection leads to significant disease.
This article will be updated, as I find new information that may be helpful.