Today I learned (TIL) a bunch of new things. Here are 10 you might find interesting.
- TIL In 1944, by a huge coincidence, a crossword puzzle was printed with answers all containing D-Day operation “code names”, which sent MI-5 into a panic thinking their invasion plans had been discovered.
- TIL that in 2010, Campbell’s “25% less sodium” tomato soup had the same amount of sodium as their “regular” tomato soup, with both containing 480 mg.
- TIL Zimbabwe’s bank balance was a total of just $217 at the start of 2013 according to the BBC.
- TIL in 2017, three infertile mice were able to give birth to healthy offspring after being implanted with artificial 3-D printed ovaries.
- TIL about 25% of people with tattoos regret the decision, averaging to about 7.5 million Americans.
- TIL that when you sleep in a new environment your brain stays half-awake.
- The original Humpty Dumpty was not an egg, not a chicken, not a man but a CANNON which fell from a wall in the 1648 Siege of Colchester.
- TIL: 75% of the world’s spices come from only one country- India
- TIL Teddy Roosevelt and his son killed 512 animals on a safari in 1909. The menagerie includes: 17 lions, 29 zebras, 27 gazelles, 9 black and white monkeys, 8 hippopotami, 2 ostriches, A pelican, 4 crocodiles.
- TIL the speed of light is so fast it circles the entire earth 7.5 times in one second.
There are pleny more things to learn over at the Reddit TIL collection.