//
you're reading...
Food, Strange

Spoon Removed From a Man’s Esophagus Was There For a Year

A man known only as Mr. Zhang in China swallowed a spoon and it got stuck in his esophagus. There the utensil stayed, for a year (!), until it started to bother him and he had it removed at a hospital in a life saving operation.

A man in China had a steel spoon lodged in his esophagus for a year, but surprisingly, the half-swallowed utensil didn’t cause too much discomfort. The man — identified only as “Mr. Zhang” — swallowed the spoon on a dare in 2017, and it promptly got stuck in the narrow tube connecting his mouth and stomach, representatives at Xinjiang Meikuang General Hospital said in a statement. Months passed, but the irritation wasn’t serious enough to prompt the man to seek medical attention. That all changed last week, however, when he began experiencing chest pains and having difficulty breathing after being punched in the chest. Three doctors performed the procedure to remove the spoon on Oct. 22. Two hours later, the spoon — which measured about 8 inches (20 centimeters) long — saw the light of day for the first time in a year, hospital officials reported. When Zhang visited the hospital, he was holding his chest and seemed to be in a lot of pain, Dr. Yu Xiwu, director of the hospital’s Department of Otolaryngology [ear, nose and throat speciality], said in the statement. Examination revealed a metal foreign body “in the upper part of the pharynx to the esophagus…” … Following his surgery, Zhang was resting comfortably; doctors expected him to be discharged within two days…

via LiveScience

china_spoonman

We can only wonder as to why he did not seek help a year sooner. It must be a relief to have it out. Why did he swallow a spoon? I found an answer here:

That said, a Chinese doctor got the shock of his life after he retrieved a spoon from a man’s throat, what made it even more baffling is that it was stuck there for a whole year! According to a statement released by the hospital, the 26-year-old wanted to surprise his companions by showcasing a trick. Reports state that he had to swallow a tablespoon and pull it back over the rope. But instead the rope broke, and the cutlery stainless steel was left inside.

via IndiaTimes

It seems this accident was a failed trick. Reminder from the universe: Think about what could go wrong before you do something crazy to impress someone.

TrueStrange.com

About Xeno

E pluribus unum.

Discussion

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: