you're reading...
Strange

A Fix for WordPress iPhone App Help

Help in the iPhone version of the WordPress App had been broken for so long that I was about to quit WP.com, but there is a fix. The issue with the latest WP app for me was that none of the help options funtioned:

If I click Help & Support…

I get this screen. So far so good…

There is a help center, my tickets, and a Contact Us option. Or so it says… However:

1. The Help Center has No Articles

Here is what I see in the app when clicking to view the help articles:

No articles found.

Searching for a topic such as “Blog” gives this screen:

The contact us link does not work. Going back a few screens, Contact Us also does not work.

2. Contact Us = Blank Page

Here is what I see when I click to contact help within the app. The page never loads.

3. Past Tickets = Blank

I have past tickets but they do not show up.

4. Clicking “Start a Conversation” Does Nothing.

A blank window pops up briefly in the app and quickly disappears, returning me to the screen above, with the useless “Start a Conversation” link.

WordPress, for a platform with “32% of the Internet,” this is a surprisingly bad situation, but getting help through a web browser by logging in to my site there did work.

Solution: Even though I had the latest app, verified just now, deleting it and reinstalling from the app store fixed the issue. I could then get to this screen:

Clicking OK let me submit a question:

When a problem kept me from unfollowing some blogs during troubleshooting, even after quitting the app and restarting the phone, reinstalling the app fixed this.

WP tech support recommended an even faster work-around for this bug: logging out then back in on the WP iPhone app clears the cache and fixes this problem.

Thanks to WordPress online chat help for the solution! I tried this before and it didn’t work, but this time it did.

Happy blogging.

Xeno, Editor of TrueStrange.com

About Xeno

E pluribus unum.

Discussion

10 thoughts on “A Fix for WordPress iPhone App Help

1. It’s pretty bad. I am unable to “like” blogs on the new WP order like yours. I get kicked out and have to login again still unable to like ! So frustrating.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by House of Heart | 17 Dec 2018, 9:26 am
    • Thanks. Yes, that is frustrating, I didn’t know likes were not working for some. The community on WP is the main reason I stay. Seeing a few likes, even just one, makes me feel I’ve helped someone in some way.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Xeno | 17 Dec 2018, 9:29 am
      • I think WP is going to have to revamp, the problem seems to be on the mobile devices and so many people are using that now rather than their PC.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by House of Heart | 17 Dec 2018, 10:20 am
      • Agreed. There is a new industry in making people’s web sites mobile friendly for all the various sized devices out there. WP.com does a good job of that for viewing and letting me like things in the Reader as far as I can tell. If you host your own site using the WP software, hiwever, it takes a lot of tweaking of CSS for some themes to get them looking decent. I’m still fine tuning my self-hosted https://xenophilia.com in that regard.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Xeno | 17 Dec 2018, 10:35 am
      • I am finding it is the self hosted sites that I am having problems accessing.

Posted by House of Heart | 17 Dec 2018, 10:37 am
      • If they don’t have the JetPack installed (optional on self-hosted sites, unlike WP.com sites) then some features like the standard likes do not appear. I disabled the JetPack plug in because it was more than doubling the load time of my self-hosted site. More like Rollerskates Pack. 😉

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Xeno | 17 Dec 2018, 10:41 am
      • It’s really a mess. I can’t get into like it comment on the self hosted sites on mobile. It kicks me right out , I have to sign back in only to be kicked out again. I’ve given up.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by House of Heart | 17 Dec 2018, 11:29 am
      • If you have already deleted the app and re-installed it and this still happens, logging in to wordpress.com in a browser outside of the app can get you to the working help area if your app help doesn’t work. It takes time sometimes just to explain the problem to them, however, so sometimes I don’t bother.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Xeno | 17 Dec 2018, 2:01 pm
      • Thanks, I’ll try that.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by House of Heart | 17 Dec 2018, 2:14 pm
      • Some self hosted sites are on slow servers too, or fast servers under what amounts to a denial of attack, which is common as hackers run scripts to try to get in to web sites.

Liked by 1 person